Sector Skill Councils (SSCs)
In order to ensure that skill development efforts being made by all stakeholders in the system are in accordance with actual needs of industry, SSCs are being set up. SSCs are industry-led and industry-governed bodies, which will help link the requirements of industry with appropriately trained manpower. SSCs will discharge the following functions:
- Identification of skill development needs including preparing a catalogue of types of skills, range and depth of skills to facilitate individuals to choose from them.
- Development of a sector skill development plan and maintain skill inventory.
- Determining skills/competency standards and qualifications and getting them notified as per NSQF.
- Standardization of affiliation, accreditation, examination and certification process in accordance with NSQF as determined by NSQC. May also conduct skill based assessment and certification for QP /NOS aligned training programs.
- Participation in the setting up of affiliation, accreditation, examination and certification norms for their respective sectors.
- Plan and facilitate the execution of Training of Trainers along with NSDC and States.
- Promotion of academies of excellence.
- Will lay special emphasis on the skilling needs of ST/SC, differently abled and minority Population.
- SSCs shall ensure that the persons trained and skilled in accordance with the norms laid down by them are assured of employment at decent wages.